The Cannes Film Festival kicked off this week on the heels of the MET Gala, and celebrities dashed from one major red carpet to the next – this time in the beautiful south of France.
The festival directors have all-out banned selfies on the red carpet this year, citing formality and traffic flow as the main reasons. Oh, and fun. They don’t like fun. OK, so maybe the reasons are legitimate, but it doesn’t mean the rest of us have to like it. I love seeing the candid, point-of-view shots rather than just the official ones. C’est la vie.
The American submissions this year are looking pretty good.
- Penélope Cruz and Javier Bardem star in Everybody Knows, a psychologial thriller of family secrets; Andrew Garfield and Riley Keough star in Under the Silver Lake, a film noir centered around a girl’s disappearance, and codebreaking in the pursuit to find her.
- John David Washington stars as Ron Stallworth in BlacKkKlansman, the recounting of his real-life story as an African-American detective who succesfully infiltrated a KKK chapter in Colorado. Adam Driver also stars in the film, playing Stallworth’s “white version” while meeting the KKK, also featuring Topher Grace;
- The House That Jack Built, a psychological thriller about a serial killer in the 1970’s and 1980’s.
- Alden Ehrenreich, Emilia Clarke, Donald Glover, and Woody Harrelson star in Solo: A Star Wars Story, illuminating how young Han Solo meets his future co-pilot Chewbacca and encounters the notorious gambler Lando Calrissian.
- Steven Yeun of The Walking Dead stars in Burning, a mystery drama that unfolds the mystifying relationship between three people.
Stella Maxwell ~ Gown: Roberto Cavalli
Lupita Nyong’o ~ Gown: Dior
Cate Blanchett ~ Gown: Mary Katrantzou–
Camila Coelho ~ Gown: Ralph and Russo
Amber Heard ~ Gown: Valentino–
Winnie Harlow ~ Gown: Jean Louis Sabaji–
Elsa Hosk ~ Gown: Alberta Ferretti–
SHOP THE RED CARPET
Alessandra Ambrosio ~ Gown: Tommy Hilfiger // Shoes: René Caovilla // Jewelry: Chopard